Saturday, June 18, 2011

Environment Poems


Environmentalists tell us not to pollute a river,
It causes harm to fish,
but when do we listen,
we do what we wish! !

We cut trees to build houses,
Instead of living in a town or city.
Environmentalists also tell us to do the same,
to live in a city with fun and simplicity.

Many children go to the same school in different cars,
But not knowing that it's burning fossil fuels,
it's also giving out poisonous gases.But we know
a solution to it, that is, By using a car pool! ! ! !

So knowning that this can lead to
Global warming,
saving Natural resources is the best,
we'll need it for the next generations
and that is what is our test.
                                     
                              by
                                       Rishabh Shah
    O' Wetlands! How I mourn for you,
Death is close at hand,
I am called many names,
Estuarine, mangrove swamp, marsh, bottomlands
And surrounded by mangrove forests,
With oysters stuck to my roots,
Fishes live and depend on me, to feed spawn and grow,
Crabs have homes, tunnels of holes around me,
Turtles pay a visit every year to lay,
And birds of green, little blue and yellow night herons
Reflect upon me.

I also help to protect you, I take in carbon and
Release oxygen for you to breathe
I function like a strainer and a sieve to filter pollutants
From the sea, making it safe for you to swim
I hear two thousand a new millennium
Will I be here for my eco-system and other sisters to survive and flourish?
I am now threatened. I have been cut I am bleeding
Garbage is dumped in and around me I cannot breathe
Filth- Sewage flows into me- I will become sick

Development hotels and airports are building around us
We are dying. Who are the powers that be? Does anyone care?
Will we be saved? Is it already too late?
I hope that we can be saved,
Because in saving us the benefits and gains are so rich,
That we can become millionaires together with MOTHER EARTH
              and
Magical the sea - Within holds many secrets
Compelled by the gentle waves
A walk to become one with
The moon, skies and stars
My eyes open wide
An astonishing sight
A magnificent humongous shell
Is crawling toward me
I stand still, thrilled by
This captivating sight-
A leather back sea turtle
Come home to lay her eggs
This extraordinary beautiful night
What a sight - The memory is imprinted 
Never to escape from my life
         and
Knapsack on back -Away we go
Charlotteville here we come
To the sea an adventure
With humming birds, yellow tails and
Blue Tanager to the pinnacle we are
Overlooking the islands, London Bridge
Marble Island, St. Giles with birds of wide spread wings
Man- O- War birds float on the flow of the unmoving wind
Blows to glide to the trees
Decorative with fluff of white almost like a Christmas tree
A flock of birds, Boobies all float on a breeze
Free but hunted in that special place -so sad
The future is to hope that some of this beauty 
Remains to be enjoyed by those who are not yet born.
                            by 
                               Greta Akili - ET's Administrative Assistant                

No comments:

Post a Comment